Friday, August 7, 2009

My Midnight wander, Stars and Constellations (or lack there of)

Whilst wandering I would have liked to enjoy the night sky but didn't. I did enjoy the wander overall, and it was quiet enough for me to walk down the middle of the road (which made me feel like a total badass ;) but it was missing something, something which stretches solar systems and whole galaxies beyond our furthest imagination (and telescopes) Yes, the mysterious constellations which are miles away, nay hundreds of miles… In fact… millions of miles away, most of which aren’t visible by eye or by telescope! Only a tiny amount of them we can see.

Sometimes I can see stars and constellations of stars from my garden on a clear night but that night, not even a star, not even a peanut! The thing is there is too many lights (Too much light pollution), mainly street lights in Scotland cast a very depressing glow over the occupants, which I’m convinced is the key to our high suicide rates I heard about on the news last night, otherwise it’s the slow internet connections we put up with.



Anyway, for one slim moment I thought I saw a star, which was a “wow” moment but it moved and flashed and was only a plane. (Oh well.)



Coincidentally the song I was listening to at the time, Yellow by Coldplay has fitting lyrics-


"Look at the stars,
Look at how they shine for you"



Which prompted me to think- “Oh, look, the stars aren’t shining for you… I’m sorry but you are not a very special person…Goodbye” which I find funny because the song is of course portraying the opposite thing…

Also, another coincidence, which I just noticed then, is that one of Coldplay’s members comes from near where I live, so maybe the lack of stars here prompted them to write this song?



-Colin

The fourteen year old blogger



(For a link to a blog talking about Light pollution more seriously check this out- http://www.alileffort.co.cc/saving-the-environment/light-pollution-an-unknown-problem)

6 comments:

Colin said...

Feed back is appreciated, Thank-you :)

aynzan said...

Wow!!! I came to this site thinking you are someone close to my age.For a 14 year old, you write so good.You set an example for young aspiring writers ...You are a twinkling star!

www.aynzan.blogspot.com

Colin said...

Thank you very much aynzan :)

I assume your twinkling star reference was purposeful because of the nature of the topic. :)

Thank-you

Teri K said...

I grew up on a farm in rural Colorado, US, stars were a nightly occurrence to us; I used to sit outside on the roof of the dog house and watch them often. But I think my best memory of stars was at Girl Scout Camp one August. The camp was high in the Rocky Mountains, and we had packed into an even higher place with a huge meadow. My friend and I chose not to sleep in a tent, but under the stars. It turned out we were in the middle of the Perseid meteor showers. Stars shot back and forth across the sky like silent, crisscrossing the night, Some seemed to be falling so closely we feared they would hit our meadow. They never did. But it was I night I'll never forget. I thank God for letting me see it.

Dawn said...

Hi! It's nice to know that light pollution doesn't go unnoticed. It had been a problem that most people think is unimportant since it's effects on humans are minimal. With your post, kids your age get to recognize this problem and hopefully help in solving it.

Anyway, thanks for the backlink. ^__^

Colin said...

Thanks for sharng swirlz :)

I love your blog :)


@Teri K

Thanks for sharing :)

Post a Comment